Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Final Project


Grant Crider
Final Artist Statement

            The big idea I am exploring through my final is similar to the one I explored in my midterm. I am going to address identity as it is defined or influenced by different filters we each posses. In the midterm, I portrayed “life” growing in bad situations and dying it what seemed to good situations. However, in my final, I explored my relation and the connection to myself within this big idea. Instead of displaying the presence of other life in different scenes, I used my own hands in an environment that really describes who I am. Hawaii is a place I love and I plan to move there with my siblings some day. My open hands during the daytime show an obvious openness. However as the day fades to night and the sun goes down, my hands begin to close suggesting acceptance. As the day ends, there is still another one coming. In life, when we experience problems or filters as previously discussed, it is up to us to react. We are the only ones who can control whether or not we can grow despite any filter or position we are placed in. Ultimately, each person is responsible for their own outcome and how they define themselves. With this, I hope to symbolize peace within myself and an overall acceptance and happiness. Through animation, I can accurately display my message. If it were still images, it would be hard to get my point across so therefore I really caught interest with animation from the start. I feel a connection with this big idea especially in my final. This is a way of life I definitely want to completely adopt. I have gotten much better but I hope to one-day come to this overall acceptance “at the end of the day.” Although my final has simplicity, the meaning is much deeper. It can be interpreted in many ways, which I really like. I would consider this project the closest to me with the deepest meaning. Art that has meaning no matter its complexity or simplicity can really speak to audiences or in this case myself. 

1 comment:

  1. you did a very good job on your final project. I like how it ties in with both your original brainstorming and the midterm dipytech you created. However, it is still different and leaves the audience wondering just exactly how you came up with the idea and how you portrayed it. I think that the animation added greatly to the meaning you were trying to convey also. great work!

    ReplyDelete