Monday, February 28, 2011

Blog #4

Like the midterm, I want to focus on the big idea of identity and how people become themselves or individualistic through specific filters. However, for the final, I want to expand it a little further and show that only we are our own barriers. We are the only ones who can control whether or not we can grow despite any filter or position we are placed in. Ultimately, each person is responsible for their own outcome and how they define themselves. I came to choose this as my big idea from my research leading up to the midterm such as the brainstorming, and then furthered my big idea after I completed my midterm. During my research, I found images of men with no teeth who looked to be very poor placed in a very bad environment. However, most of them were smiling as wide as could be. Then, I would find images of pretty girls or other people who seemed to be in a much better state of living than the other people I found but they had their heads down looking very depressed. This brought me to the conclusion that although outside factors definitely influence and impact us, we are the ones held responsible for our own outcomes.

For my final, I plan to use my hands closing in animation as a visual strategy. This signifies "tight situations" or a bad environment. Also, I plan to use the sun fading into planets or some sort of other cool background feature. From the animation from open environment to closed or bad environment on repeat, I can portray my big idea. This work is to be used as a time mechanism. At first, the work is to be "open" and bright with sun and happy feelings. As time progresses, the mood and set will begin to darken and things will begin mysterious and unrealistic. The hands will begin to close. I will use an object however, to grow bright as the world it is given darkens. I'm still in the process of determining this object I will use.

I was influenced by a couple different artists and ideas. The artist that was suggested to me which definitely correlates with my big idea is Tony Oursler. His work can be found here: http://www.tonyoursler.com/index.php
I will take less of his actual visual work but more so of his type of thinking with me on to the final. He portrays faces in inanimate objects which look like they have a very strong personality. This goes hand in hand directly with my big idea for the final.
Here's a couple images:




Another artist that influenced me by his visuals is Christopher Haines. His work also correlates with my big idea but his work is more my style. It is very accepting to the eye and is really detailed. He uses a lot of faces to illustrate his big idea but most are made of different material. The faces have grown character. Here are a few examples:


Finally, one new photoshop technique that I plan to incorporate animation and a burning effect. There are many cool ways to make things look as if it is lit or perhaps even on fire. I may use this in some sort of way to show something that is burning but there is still something that flourishes even through the fire and ash. This is not for sure yet, just an idea but if I can figure something out, it will be a very cool technique! I also really like "cracking" pictures and making them look like they are falling apart. This is a new and cool technique I may add as well. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow such a hard concept to portray. It would be especially hard because you don't have models like homeless person or rich girls to take pictures of. But I believe you can do it. I think it would be cool if you make the hand very vivid compare to the background pictures, like the artist who shows face first and then make the viewer realize the faces are made by different means. Really cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dont know if that first comment posted. but these artists really appeared to have an influence on your final work. also, the animation you used contributed greatly to the meaning behind your project. you have a lot of skill with photoshop and it really shows. the idea you chose to depict was a difficult one, however you pulled it off. good job.

    ReplyDelete