Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Blog #3

http://psd.tutsplus.com/tutorials/tutorials-effects/100-artworks-from-the-top-digital-artists-in-asia/




Calvin Ho appeals to me and I'm sure many others through his digital art. I am attracted to this artwork because of how the the artist tends to cover up the faces of the subjects in his picture. This relates to the artists big idea directly. Not only does identity come up through his big idea but the complexity behind his work addresses the complexity of our minds and body. The complexity is what I find most inspiring about Calvin's work. There are so many ideas floating around in the same picture. Most of the time it's hard to even relate to what the picture is trying to get across. These would be the source of my main questions. What significance do the fish play or the ostrich like neck? It's fascinating at the same time however. The great thing about these pieces is the feeling of unknown. I will try to bring this into my midterm. I don't want my work to be easily defined on one quick look. I want to bring more questions to the table like Calvin does. Also, I want to use the approach of bright colors in front of a black and white subject as well. These components could really make my work a lot stronger as well as more interesting.

http://www.we-make-money-not-art.com/


This artist appeals to me in so many ways. His work also relates directly to my big idea which is identity as defined by life and background. The use of black and white in all of his pictures really enhances the meaning behind the picture. Its so interesting to see smiling faces as well as unhappy scenarios even though both pictures appear to have a bad background. I am most inspired with this work because the photographer is not afraid to get down and dirty. He is not afraid to show the world the sincere pain some people are in. The pictures I selected are actually some of his most school appropriate photos. Through this work I have little questions that arise, it is mostly inspiration. I hope I can portray serious issues in life as well as happy ones who impact people deeply through my work like this artist did to me. In my final project, I will try to take with me these ideas and not be afraid to portray the things people  may or may not want to think about because these are the most influential pieces. Also, I plan on bringing the black and white component into much more of my work. When viewing pieces in lack and white, I personally feel more passionate about it. This would really help me get certain messages across.

1 comment:

  1. I really like both of your artist choices. I like that both artists use black and white in their photographs and Ho uses splashes of color to draw in the audiences' eyes. The way he covers up all his subjects' faces also has great significance. good work...I'm sure your midterm project will be very interesting.

    ReplyDelete