Monday, February 21, 2011

Midterm Project

The big idea I decided to go with is identity however; I chose a very particular side in this extremely general word.  I focused on the fact of remaining the same (or different) under varying conditions. I wanted to explore how people define themselves in a heavily influential world. Everybody is influenced in so many ways, pulled from so many directions, and influenced greatly by race, religion, and geography. I am going to explore how people grow into themselves through these filters. Throughout this exploration process, I realized these filters influence us greatly. To explore this big idea, I set up two very different places. One seems to be dreamlike and enchanted if you will, while the other is dark, gloomy, and grungy. These scenarios are one way I could represent the filters I just discussed. Visually, I used an apple to demonstrate the differences between people in both pictures. In the pretty scene, there is a rotten apple following from the sky where everything else in the picture seemed to have flourished. Also, I used a girl that seems to be in a very sad position while she fades away into smoke. These two objects could not grow despite everything they were given. In the next image, the scene is terrible, with a corpse and stormy sky as well as a grungy texture over it all. Here, I have a very bright apple falling from the sky that seems to be completely healthy. It also has a face signaling that this apple (person) came to be who they really are even if they had to grow from concrete. This apple had an identity; a sense of being even though the background gave it no reason to live. Also, I have a couple flowers growing next to a skeleton. This signifies much of the same thing. This big idea is very important to me in several ways. First, I want to grow to be more thankful everyday for what I have. Over the last few months I have realized a lot about life and just how lucky I really am to have the opportunities I do. If we all just started taking a step back and looking at the good in people or life instead of the bad, the way we define ourselves would alter completely. We all would continue to get stronger despite any problems we may face just like the green apple.







2 comments:

  1. The symbolism of this art is very clear. I like the simplicity in one art and i like the complexity in the other. I like the repetition of apples. Also I think the texture of the art is very interesting too. I think the contrast that portrays the same idea is the biggest strength of this diptych.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your very skilled with photoshop and this is evident in your midterm project. you did a great job of displaying your big idea without explicitely stating it within your artwork. my favorite photo is the second one as the road depicted is full of uncertainty, one never knows where their lives will lead them and we must just live our life one day at a time to determine what the future will bring. also, the apple and ghostly girl add to the photo with splashes of color that help in depicting the meaning. the only thing i would change is to make the red apple more prominent in the second photo to allow the audience to focus on the meaning behind the photo...as in the first photo the apple is very prominent up against the plain, dark background.

    ReplyDelete